Welcome to the blogsite for the Pleasant Residents Association

The Pleasant Residents' Association was formed a number of years ago to act as a focal point for all Residents in the Mount Pleasant, Mount Pleasant Avenue, Little Lane,Robinson Lane estate and Watts Lane area.

Currently the association has suspended it's activities due to lack of volunteers to stand for committee.

Sunday, 23 October 2011

Snow and Ice advice

East Lindsey District Council have just issued a press release to recommend action on behalf of property owners when the wintery weather arrives. The forecast is for another cold one, so let's do our bit to make the streets safer. The Government's code: * Prevent slips - Pay extra attention to clear snow and ice from steps and steep pathways - you might need to use more salt on these areas. If you clear snow and ice yourself, be careful - don't make the pathways more dangerous by causing them to refreeze. But don't be put off clearing paths because you're afraid someone will get injured. Remember, people walking on snow and ice have responsibility to be careful themselves. * Clear the snow or ice early in the day - It's easier to move fresh, loose snow rather than hard snow that has packed together from people walking on it. So if possible, start removing the snow and ice in the morning. If you remove the top layer of snow in the morning, any sunshine during the day will help melt any ice beneath. You can then cover the path with salt before nightfall to stop it refreezing overnight. * Use salt or sand - not water - If you use water to melt the snow, it may refreeze and turn to black ice. You can prevent black ice by spreading some salt on the area you have cleared. You can use ordinary table or dishwasher salt - a tablespoon for each square metre you clear should work. If you don't have enough salt, you can also use sand or ash. These won't stop the path icing over as well as salt, but will provide good grip under foot. * Offer to clear your neighbours' paths - If your neighbour will have difficulty getting in and out of their home, offer to clear snow and ice around their property as well. Check that any elderly or disabled neighbours are alright in the cold weather. If you're worried about them, contact your local council.

Friday, 21 October 2011

Minutes of meeting 14th September 2011

Minutes of last meeting 14th September 2011 Meeting attendees : Brian Shaw, Di Dray, Sylvia Scott, Eileen & Eric Howard, Betty Pinfold, David Heal, Carol Leslie, John and Andrea Prior, James Pocklington Apologies: Gary Dray, Cllr Sarah Dodds, Brenda Nutt, Mags Thomson. Minutes from the 10th August 2011 read and approved. Matters arising: • Cllr Hough agreed to contact the Dog warden with an invite to attend a meeting of the residents association. • It was reported that the road sign for Watts Lane was hanging off the remaining part of the wall on the Newmarket entrance. James agreed to find out who’s responsible for road signs. • Cllr Hough reported that Sainsbury’s had withdrawn the planning application for the Newmarket site, in view of objections from Lincolnshire Highways. It seems likely that a revised application will be submitted. • John and Andrea voiced some concern over the development at 35 Mount Pleasant and the land at the rear of the properties that may be reserved for further buildings. Cllr Hough explained that no further building could be commenced without additional planning permission. The muddy state of the road and the number of trade vehicles parked on the pavement was referred to, James suggested that he could write to Chris Fairburn and express concern. • James raised a couple of issues that Mags had asked to be discussed in her absence. The first was the decision by the Gardening society to direct traffic up Little Lane to get access to the rear of Monks dyke school. The meeting was concerned that this could have resulted in unnecessary traffic up an already busy road. James agreed to write to Chris Rolph at the school and ask that the residents be consulted before a similar decision is made in the future. Mags also wanted to let the meeting know that the overgrown pathway to Spire View from Watts Lane was the responsibility of ELDC and that they should be trimming it soon. The passageway to Robinsons Lane from Mount Pleasant is the responsibility of LCC. • Cllr Hough suggested that we apply for a public right of way on the footpath between Spire View and Watts Lane. James agreed to investigate the procedure needed to complete this. • Dave Heal mentioned that the public footpath access to the Weavers tryst estate from Stewton lane, opposite Railway Walk had been fenced off. It was unclear as to why this was. • There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.25pm.

Minutes from July and August 2011

Here are the minutes from the last two meetings.

Minutes of last meeting 10th August 2011
Meeting attendees : Brian Shaw, Di Dray, Brenda Nutt, Sylvia Scott, Eileen & Eric Howard, Sandra Trafford, Betty Pinfold, David Heal, James Pocklington
Apologies: Gary Dray, Cllr Sarah Dodds, Cllr John Hough, John and Chris Scott.

Minutes from the 13th July 2011 read and approved.

Matters arising:
• Both Dave and Eileen reported that they had prompt replies to the first contact forms that they recently submitted. If residents would like more forms they are available from Brian and theTrinity Centre.
• Dave mentioned that a motor scooter was recklessly using the access to Watts lane from Robinson’s Lane. Brian recommended that the Reg. Number be reported to the police.
• It was reported that the wall which holds the Watts Lane sign at the Newmarket end was becoming a hazard and may collapse.
• The forthcoming visit to Rushmore Country Park was discussed, it was agreed to take up to 40 residents. Brian had arranged coach transport for those that needed it.
• Brian reported that the last quiz night was well attended and enjoyed by all.
• A further request was made for a visit from the Dog warden.
• Brenda expressed her frustration that the overhanging hedges next to her house were not being trimmed by the owner and were making access difficult.
• Brian asked if the salt bin request for Little Lane had got any further with the Town Council, James agreed to find out.
• There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.25pm.


Minutes of last meeting 13th July 2011
Special Guest: Gary Brown MBE introduced the First Contact scheme recently created by Age Concern UK. Gary explained that it was a “one form” system that helps some of the most vulnerable and needy in our society to access the benefits they are entitled to. Gary left a number of First contact forms and urged all those present to fill in the form, either for themselves or for someone else, to try the system out
Meeting attendees :Brian Shaw, Di Dray, Brenda Nutt, Eileen & Eric Howard, Judith Hall, John Prior, Sylvia Scott, Cllr John Hough, Betty Pinfold, David Heal, James Pocklington
Apologies: Gary Dray, Cllr Sarah Dodds.

Minutes from the 8th June 2011 read and approved.

Matters arising:
• Judith mentioned that the Sainsbury’s application had been rejected, Cllr Hough explained that the Highways dept had not supported the application for various reasons relating to access and current traffic problems at that location. The application had yet to go to the planning committee but that it would be surprising for the committee to go against Highways advice and support the application. Cllr Hough explained that the consultation process was still ongoing.
• Judith congratulated Cllr Dodds in her absence for the excellent letter that she had submitted to the committee, James agreed to post a copy of it on the blog.
• Brian announced that we were aiming to use association funds to organise a community outing to Rushmoor Country Park in the near future for local residents of all ages, more details at the next meeting.
• It was noted that there was still significant activity at the address on Mount Pleasant which was subject to a Police drugs raid recently. Residents were encouraged to provide the Police with relevant information on any suspicious activity.
• Cllr Hough reported that the County council were looking to consult with the public on the proposal to decriminalise car parking offences. Cllr Hough suggested that this would be a good opportunity for local residents to request designated resident parking spaces on Little Lane and Mount Pleasant if this was thought to be desirable.
• There being no other business the meeting closed at 8.45pm.