Welcome to the blogsite for the Pleasant Residents Association

The Pleasant Residents' Association was formed a number of years ago to act as a focal point for all Residents in the Mount Pleasant, Mount Pleasant Avenue, Little Lane,Robinson Lane estate and Watts Lane area.

Currently the association has suspended it's activities due to lack of volunteers to stand for committee.

Tuesday, 7 December 2010

Cancelled meeting

The next meeting scheduled for tomorrow night (8th December) has been cancelled due to the icy weather.
I hope you all have a peaceful and Happy Christmas,
see you in the New Year!


Monday, 22 November 2010

Decision letter on 35 Mount Pleasant

Here is a copy of the appeal decision letter that I downloaded from the Planning Portal website.
It would seem that the appeal has been dismissed solely on it's visual effect on the street, all the other objections, that various residents have made, had no bearing on the appeal decision.

Site visit made on 26 October 2010
by Michael R Moffoot DipTP MRTPI DipMgt MCMI
an Inspector appointed by the Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government
Decision date: 15 November 2010
Appeal Ref: APP/D2510/A/10/2130000 35 Mount Pleasant, Louth LN11 9Dw
• The appeal is made under section 78 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 against a refusal to grant planning permission.
• The appeal is made by Mr Chris Fairburn against the decision of East Lindsey District Council.• The application Ref. N/105/00266/10, dated 9 February 2010, was refused by notice
dated 7 May 2010.
• The development proposed is residential development consisting of 4 no. two storey town houses, 2 no. dormer bungalows, 3 no. bungalows construction of a private drive,6 no. detached garages, associated hard standings and boundary treatments.
1. The appeal is dismissed.

2. The main issue is the effect of the proposed development on the character and appearance of the area.

3. National Policy in Planning Policy Statement (PPS) 1: Delivering Sustainable Development and PPS3: Housing endorses the effective and efficient use of land in sustainable locations such as the appeal site. It also encourages high quality and inclusive design, advising that design which is inappropriate in its context, or which fails to take the opportunities available for improving the character and quality of an area, should not be accepted. Moreover, both documents seek to promote or reinforce local distinctiveness and ensure that new development is well integrated with and complements neighbouring buildings and the local area in terms of scale, density, layout and access. Saved Policies A5 and H12 of the adopted East Lindsey Local Plan Alteration 1999 are consistent with these objectives.
4. Development on the north side of Mount Pleasant in the vicinity of the appeal site is characterised by a variety of detached and semi-detached bungalows and two storey properties generally set on deep plots complemented by well-established gardens. Older dwellings tend to adjoin the highway whereas later development is set back slightly in a more conventional suburban form. As a consequence,whilst there is no pronounced building line or predominant built form or dwelling style, the linear pattern of housing is clearly evident. It is this context that I consider should inform the development of the appeal site and is a significant factor in relation to the acceptability of the proposal.
5. Plots 1-4 of the proposed scheme would front the highway, and would comprise two pairs of semi-detached, two-storey dwellings with associated garages. The scale, massing and disposition of the buildings would be enhanced by traditional design detailing and materials, and as a result these dwellings would respond effectively to the properties to either side of the site and would satisfactorily integrate with and contribute positively to the wider street scene.
6. The entrance to the shared vehicular and pedestrian access serving the development would be flanked by large paved driveways, garages, hard surfaced frontages and brick boundary walling, with little scope for landscaping to soften the impact of these solid features. Such a wide, conspicuous gap in the frontage would provide views of the single-storey properties to the rear of the site and their driveways and gardens, and the visual impact of the tight-knit layout would be compounded by the tarmacadam access road. Gaps at either end of the frontage would also permit views of the development to the rear of the site, albeit they would be relatively restricted. The compact nature of the layout would reinforce the perception of development in depth on the site; a format which would be markedly at odds with the established open grain and discernible pattern of linear development on the north side of Mount Pleasant that I have described.
7. As a result, the scheme would have little affinity with its surroundings and would fail to take advantage of the opportunities available for improving the character and quality of the area. It would also be incompatible with the aim of the LP to promote local distinctiveness. I acknowledge that national planning policy continues to encourage the efficient re-use of land within settlements notwithstanding the recent deletion of the indicative minimum of 30 dwellings per hectare from PPS3, but this should not be at the expense of the character and appearance of the area.
8. In coming to these findings, I have taken into account other sites in Mount Pleasant where development in depth has taken place. The scheme at No. 63 pre-dates PPS1, PPS3 and Manual for Streets (MfS) which encourage layouts that are responsive to local distinctiveness and context. Although the development at Nos. 53/55 post-dates PPS1, it does not reflect the prevailing pattern and grain of development I have described and to which I attach significant importance, and both schemes reaffirm my view that the appeal proposal is unacceptable. My attention was also drawn to a small housing development at the eastern end of Mount Pleasant, but no details of the circumstances leading to the grant of permission in that case have been provided. I do not therefore accept that this, or the other examples cited,set a precedent for allowing the appeal proposal.
9. For these reasons, I conclude on the main issue that the proposed development would unacceptably harm the character and appearance of the area, in conflict with Policies A5 and H12 of the Local Plan and national policy in PPS1, PPS3 and MfS.
10. I now turn to other matters raised in representations. The Council is concerned that the proposal would result in a poor quality living environment for future occupiers of the new dwellings. I see no reason why the proximity of some of the properties to parking areas and the access road would create unsatisfactory living conditions, as these areas and the access road could be partly screened by appropriate landscaping and other boundary treatment. The outlook from the dwelling on Plot 6 would not be unduly restricted, but the proximity of the front lounge window on Plot 8 to the boundary fence and gable of the dwelling on Plot 9 would be somewhat oppressive notwithstanding that the room would be served by two windows. This matter would not,however, justify dismissal of the appeal.
11. A number of residents in the area have expressed strong concerns regarding the implications of the proposal for highway and pedestrian safety, and particularly on Little Lane, which would generally be the route used to access the appeal site. In view of the limited number of dwellings proposed in relation to the overall amount of properties served by Little Lane, I consider that the traffic associated with the development would not appreciably exacerbate any existing problems for users of the route,including t hose using the footways. Mount Pleasant is also capable of accommodating the traffic generated by the proposal.
12. Visibility would be adequate at the site access, and its proximity to the junction with Robinson Lane would not create significant highway safety issues. The proposal makes adequate provision for off-street parking to serve the development , and any over spill parking that may occasionally occur could be accommodated on Mount Pleasant, where levels of on-street parking are likely to be low given that most properties have off-street parking space. As there are no footways to either side of the site, no justification exists for one along the site frontage.
13. The development would not result in undue overlooking or loss of outlook for surrounding occupiers, and the temporary effects of construction noise and disruption are common to all new development, and can be reasonably restricted by condition to normal working hours.
14. I do not find the level of detail and information in the reason for refusal to be inadequate as the appellant asserts. Furthermore, the Council's objections to the proposal are clearly set out in the officer's report and the subsequent appeal statement which the appellant has had the opportunity to comment on.Other submissions concern matters unrelated to the planning merits of the appeal, and do not affect my judgement of the issues that I consider relevant to the case.
15. Although I have found that most of these other matters do not militate against the proposal, none of them outweighs the conflict with national and local planning policies that would occur if the appeal were to be allowed. For the reasons given above and having regard to all other matters raised, I conclude that the appeal should be dismissed.
Michael R Moffoot

Thursday, 11 November 2010

Who's eating the electricity in your house?

Electricity energy monitors are a great way to uncover the hungriest appliances in your home. Sustainable Lincolnshire have provided a number of these monitors for householders to borrow for a period of 4 weeks. You simply plug them in and watch the electricity consumption appliance by appliance. You can either read off the usage in pence value or power value.

If you're interested in reducing costs and saving electrical energy, this is a great place to start.

Collect your monitor from Louth Library, they will just need your name, address and phone number.

For more details

Minutes of meeting 13th October 2010

St Michael’s Church Hall

Apologies: Kim, Carol, John Hough

Attendance: Brenda Nutt, Rosie Leak, Sylvia Scott, Joanna Green, John & Andrea Prior, Sandy Trafford, Keith Dunham, David Heal, Brian Shaw, Ron Stephenson, Eileen & Eric Howard, Judy Purves.

· There was a short discussion on the possible speed check to be taken on Little Lane by the Highways dept. There were mixed opinions on the usefulness of the exercise, although it was agreed that a 20mph limit would help to reduce speeding.

· James explained that there was to be a site visit sometime in November to determine the future of the outstanding planning application on 35 Mount Pleasant.

· The crossing of Monks Dyke Rd at the bottom of Little Lane was discussed briefly. The dangers of crossing such a wide and busy road were highlighted.

· It was noted that the vacant building plot at the bottom of Little Lane had been tidied up successfully, thanks to Brian for contacting the responsible parties.

· James agreed to invite Sue Locking to the next meeting in her capacity as Town Councillor for the Priory Ward.

· Dave Heal raised the issued of disabled access in Louth stores and that he had been in touch with Mark Barnes the town centre manager over the matter.

· The new lights to the park at the end of Watts Lane were still not working, Eileen reported.

· James agreed to invite our PCSO to the next meeting for discussions around the concerns about vandalism and litter in the Watts Lane area.

· The grass had been cut outside No.61 Mt Pleasant, at least once so far.

· The lights were now back on, on Mount Pleasant, thought there were concerns that it may not be a permanent fix, as they had been off four times in the 2 years since their installation.

· Brian announced that there were 25 children and 4 adult tickets booked for the pantomime in January, Judy and John Prior raised the issue of CRB checks for the adults concerned, Brian agreed to look into the matter.

· Judy expressed her disappointment that the application for Lidl on the industrial estate had been turned down by the district council. A lively discussion ensued on the pros and cons of the decision.

· Sylvia had had stones thrown into her garden from the direction of Monks Dyke school. She explained to the meeting that after discussions with the Head teacher this matter was being dealt with, but if there was to be another incident she would involve the police.

Meeting finished 8.50pm Next meeting 10th November 2010

Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Meeting 10th November

The committee have decided to change the format of the meetings to make them
a bit more sociable and hopefully more interesting.
The next meeting will include a presentation of their work in Tanzania by John Hough
and Lesley Kuomi. We will then have a short tea break before holding a brief meeting
on any outstanding issues in the neighbourhood.
Please get in touch if you have any thoughts on this idea.

Thursday, 14 October 2010

Minutes of 8th September meeting

Minutes of meeting held on Wednesday 8th September 2010 , 7.30pm at St Michael’s Church Rooms, Louth
Attended by: Eileen & Eric Howard, John Hough, Brenda Nutt, Joanna Green, Jasmin and Leon Page, Bob Oliver, Chris Scott, Betty Pinfold, James Pocklington , Kim Carter, Brian Shaw

Apologies: David Newlove, David Heal, Veronica Lee.

Minutes read, signed and approved.

Matters arising: Brian has made contact with Translinc and the bus is no longer being driven on the pavement down Mount Pleasant.
James reported that he had spoken to the PCSO regarding speeding down Little Lane, the conclusion being that as there is a 30 mph limit, there is little action they can take. James then spoke to Ian Mickleburgh at Lincs Highways who acknowledged that this area was a cause for concern and said he would try to get a speed monitor on the street for a week to record traffic activity. John explained that if the recorded speeds are around 20mph it would be easier to introduce a 20mph speed limit, than if higher speeds are recorded.
Brian said that the owners of the site on the corner of Little Lane and Monks Dyke Rd would shortly be given official notice to tidy the site within 28 days.
Brian explained that he had dropped in some flyers to relevant town councillors, James agreed to offer a personal invitation to either Sue Locking or Trevor Marris to attend the October meeting.
Brian has left a message with the Dog warden but had had no reply.
Eileen reported that large items of furniture had been dumped on Watts Lane and that there were repeated incidents of dog mess being left on the road.
No further news on development of Brown’s garage site, but opened manholes still posing a hazard.
Brian requested help with collecting Bonus ball funds from Mount Pleasant Ave.
Motorbike activity on Railway walk seems to have been curbed by the locks being replaced to the gate and a new sign prohibiting motorcycles. Eileen reported that a helmet less motorcyclist was doing a “circuit” of Watts lane cutting through the walkway into Robinsons Lane. Kim said she would try to get the Reg.no. and report the individual.
Brian contacted ELDC about the debris in Watts lane play area they promised to get the Police to monitor the issue.
Brian also explained that the grass in front of Andy Dobson’s home would be cut eventually by the council, but as yet still not being done.
John reported that Robert Frost of ELDC was addressing some technical issues with the new street lights on the path towards the play area, and hopefully this long running saga would be concluded soon.
Brian raised the issue of the reported withdrawal of residential wardens from some areas of Louth. John agreed that this was a very real concern and encouraged residents to make their feelings known to the Council.
James asked John if there had been any news on the planning appeal for the development at no.35 Mount Pleasant. John had nothing to report as yet.
Brian informed the meeting of two events planned for the area’s residents. On January 15th a proposed trip to “Jack and the beanstalk” at the Playgoers theatre for 20 local children and 3 adults.
Also a senior citizens, fish and chip supper with musical contributions from local performers, and a chance to reminisce on wartime experiences. The meeting agreed that these were excellent community events to promote in our neighbourhood.
John mentioned that the Monks Dyke Residents Association were holding a Xmas dinner in a local venue on Monday 13th December and invited members of our association to join them.
Meeting ended 8.35pm

Wednesday, 15 September 2010

Update on appeal for no.35 Mount Pleasant

This is a copy of an email received yesterday with regard to the planning appeal at No 35 Mount Pleasant.

Dear Sir/Madam

Town and Country Planning Act 1990
Appeal by Mr Chris Fairburn - C & L Fairburn Property Developments Ltd
Site at 35 Mount Pleasant, Louth, LN11 9DW

Thank you for your email in regard to the above appeal.

I can advise you that, a site visit for this appeal is likely to take
place between November/December 2010. The decision letter is likely to
be issued 5 weeks after the date of the site visit.

Mr Paul Puddy
Case Officer, PINS AA PEP
The Planning Inspectorate
Room 3/20
Temple Quay House
2 The Square, Temple Quay
Bristol, BS1 6PN

Wednesday, 8 September 2010

Minutes of meeting 4th August 2010

In attendance
Eric Howard,Eileen Howard,Brenda Nutt, Sylvia Scott, Carol Leslie, Veronica Lee,Betty Pinfold, Linda Mawer, David NewLove, James Pocklington, Dave Heal,Brian Shaw,Kim Carter, Jasmin Page, Leon Page,Donna Lyons.

The chairman opened the meeting and welcomed everyone.

The minutes of the previous meeting were recorded as being correct.

Blog Site – Some members of the group have looked at the Associations blog site and agreed that it looks very good; it is hoped the new site will encourage residents who do not attend the residents’ meeting to access the site to obtain information, local news and events.

Trans Linc - The chairman confirmed she has received no response from the company with regards to the concerns raised. A suggestion was put forward by a member of the group to contact the resident who is using this service to try and resolve the problem.

Speeding Cars – James Pocklington has offered to contact Louth Police to invite them to the next meeting to hopefully answer some of the concerns raised with regards to speeding cars and other issues.

Town Councillors – The group are disappointed the local Town Councillors have not attended meetings; Brian Shaw offered to contact and invite the councillors to the next meeting in September.

Cllr John Hough – The group would like to thank Cllr John Hough for all his hard work, support, advice and dedication to the Association over the last couple of years.

Street Cleaning – Cigarette butts are starting to accumulate again in the alleyway between Mount Pleasant and the new estate; Brian Shaw has offered to contact ELDC with regards to this.

Watts Lane – The pot hole along Watts Lane have been filled in. Further information regarding the street lights has been issued from ELDC (copy of email available).

Browns Site – Still no further news regarding who has purchased the site. The man holes are still exposed and large amounts of broken glass.

Bonus Ball/Quiz Night – Brian Shaw asked for some help collecting money; Kim Carter offered to help and collect from residents along Mount Pleasant Avenue. The Association are currently raising approximately £80 per month for the Association. The next quiz night will take place on 17th September.

Little Lane – Brian Shaw has agreed to contact Environmental Health with regards to concerns raised at the meeting.

Big Lunch – 29 people attended the event; very good day and everyone who attended commented on how successful it was. A special thanks to be passed onto Shelia Willet for washing up all the pots.

Railway Walk – The group raised concerns over the amount of motorcycles along this passage way.

Watts Lane Play Park – There is a large amount of dirty nappies left on the play park. Brian Shaw agreed to contact ELDC and report the problem.

Concerns have been raised with regards to a member of the public who is currently impersonating an employee from a utilities provider; he/she is currently targeting households along St Bernard Avenue demanding money. Unfortunately, a resident along St Bernard has already fallen victim to the scam.

The time and date of the next meeting is Wednesday 8th September, 7.30pm at St Michaels Church Rooms.

Monday, 19 July 2010

The Big Lunch!...

Here are some photos from yesterday's Big Lunch event at St Michael's Church hall.

Lots of happy faces enjoying good weather, good food and good company!

We tried to catch Brian's rat!

We had lovely music!

So everyone left with a broader tummy and an even broader smile!
Thanks to Kim,Brian,Mark and everyone that came together to join in a really lovely relaxing afternoon.

Friday, 16 July 2010

Minutes of meeting 9th June 2010

Minutes of Pleasant Residents Association 9th June 2010
St Michaels Church Hall, Mount Pleasant, 7.30pm

In attendance: Kim Carter, Eric & Eileen Howard, Brenda Nutt, Joanna Green, Bob Frankum, Sylvia Scott, John & Chris Scott, Carol Leslie, Margaret Thomson, John Prior, Dave Heal, Leon and Jasmine Page, Cllr John Hough, Bob Oliver, Miss Pinfold, James Pocklington

Apologies : Brian Shaw, Donna Lyons, Andrea Prior

The minutes were read and recorded as being correct apart from one amendment to the amount raised by the quiz night which was incorrect.

Matters arising:
  •       The development of 35 Mount Pleasant was raised, John Prior suggested that there may yet be an appeal so a bit early to celebrate outright victory. Cllr Hough wasn’t aware of any appeal but did point out the change to government planning guidelines which would categorise gardens as green field sites making it less likely for permission to be given if the site could be distinguished as a garden.
  •        The blogsite had been visited by a few residents who thought it looked good and would help to promote the association. It was agreed to get the blog address on the next batch of flyers.
  •       The driver of the Translinc bus that regularly mounts the kerb had been identified, Kim agreed to speak to Translinc to make them aware of the situation.

Other Business:
  •       James confirmed that the £100 grant from Cllr Hough would be in the bank within the next few days and thanked John for his assistance.
  •       Speeding cars in the neighbourhood continue to be a concern, Cllr Hough said he would relay the concerns to the relevant Police Inspector and request that a PCSO attend an Association meeting in the near future.
  •        Cllr Hough reported that the new street lights on the path from Watts Lane to Spire View should be connected and working very soon .
  •       Kim agreed to invite our local town councillors to the next meeting.
  •       Eileen Howard pointed out that there were still some uncovered manholes on the derelict site on the corner of Watts Lane.  The meeting was concerned that children playing on the site were at risk and Kim agreed to highlight our concerns with the selling agents.
  •       The issue of ELDC refuse lorries using Watts lane as an access lane unnecessarily was raised ,Kim agreed to talk to one of the drivers to see if they could take a different route.
  •       Bob Frankum suggested that when the site is developed that some condition should be made that a footpath along Watts Lane is incorporated into the plans. Cllr Hough wasn’t aware of any plans for the site as yet.
  •       A number of residents expressed concern about the safety of pedestrians when leaving the shop at the junction of Watts Lane and Newmarket.  Now that the area has been opened out cars are approaching with less caution and awareness of shoppers turning out of shop door way straight on to Watts Lane.
  •       Cllr Hough suggested that we could share ideas and events with the Monks Park residents association, the meeting agreed this would be a good idea, Cllr Hough said he would ask Donna and Debbie from Linx to arrange a meeting between the two associations.
  •       Leon asked the meeting if something could be done with the overhanging bushes that make it difficult to get down the pathway to the park at the end of Watts Lane. Cllr Hough suggested that a complaint is made to ELDC, Kim agreed to do that. Jasmine agreed with Leon and explained how she had been stung by nettles down the same path.
  •       Kim announced another Quiz night to be held in St Michaels church hall in July all funds in aid of St Michaels Church. To enter a team of 4 will cost £20 including light refreshments.

Meeting closed at 8.10pm
Next meeting 7th July

Wednesday, 16 June 2010

The Big Lunch!

The Pleasant Residents Association
Invite you to St Michael’s Church Hall an on Sunday 18th July 12-3pm to join in

All drinks will be provided free of charge but please bring and share picnic foods (home made would be great!) and your own plates/cutlery/wine glasses etc.

Live Music! – Fun and Games!

Friends and Neighbours - everyone welcome!

Wednesday, 12 May 2010

35 Mount Pleasant Housing Development

A letter from the planning dept at ELDC to all residents close to the proposed development of 9 homes on 35 Mount Pleasant confirmed that the proposal was not in keeping and out of character to the locality and has therefore been rejected. This is good news for all those residents concerned with the increase in traffic , access issues and general unsuitability of the plans submitted. We shall wait to see if any amended proposals  are submitted.

Monday, 26 April 2010

Quiz night!

We had an enjoyable quiz night at St Michaels Church hall on Friday 23rd. Just four teams entered but the competition was fierce! 50 questions and a picture round kept us all guessing for a couple of hours. We raised £20 for association funds and had a great time,
why not join us for the next one later in June? 

Wednesday, 14 April 2010

Meeting minutes 10th March 2010

  • The Chairman welcomed everyone to the meeting
  • The minutes of the previous meeting were recorded as being correct
  • Brian confirmed he had spoken to one of the owners of the land at the bottom corner of Little Lane about the accumulating rubbish on the site.
  • The continuing problem of Watts Lane was discussed, the road is deteriorating rapidly due to the amount of traffic that is using the road. The road remains unadopted by the council and due to the restricted width of the road will probably remain that way. Unfortunately it seems that decisions made some time ago have created the problem which now seems difficult to resolve.
  • Comments were made about the safety of the recently cleared land at Brown's garage, a manhole cover was reported as being missing. it was agreed that the committee would bring it to the attention of those responsible.
  • Brian confirmed he had made contact with John Dyson from ELDC with regard to street cleaning on Little Lane. A provisional date of the 21st March has been set.
  • Fly tipping on the alley way between Mount Pleasant and the new estate is becoming an issue. The matter has been referred to the Police and ELDC.
  • There is to be a quiz night on the 19th March at the Church Hall
  • Brian suggested running a weekly bonus ball draw to raise funds for association events all agreed this was a good idea.
  • James suggested that a blog site could be a good way to reach those resident's that are unable to make meetings and help with communication within the neighbourhood, everyone agreed to this.
Meeting closed 8.50pm : next meeting Wednesday 14th April .